LAUNCHING IMPLEMENTATION OF JORDAN NATIONAL ACTION PLAN (JONAP) ON UNITED NATIONS SECURITY COUNCIL RESOLUTION 1325, A REGIONAL CONFERENCE
Date: Monday, February 4, 2019
Where: King Hussein bin Talal Convention Centre, Dead Sea, Jordan
Held under the esteemed patronage of the Prime Minister of Jordan, H.E. Dr. Omar Razzaz, the Government of Jordan - in partnership with UN Women and with the generous support of the Governments of the Canada, Finland, Norway, Spain, and United Kingdom – is convening a regional conference to discuss critical issues related to the launch of the implementation of Jordan’s National Action Plan on the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1325 (JONAP). The main objective of the event is to share Jordan’s experience in the JONAP development and financing with regional stakeholders, including other countries working on 1325 National Action Plans to strengthen their holistic and coherent design.
The high-level opening session (6 February, 10.00 – 11.00am) will feature the participation of the following speakers:
- H.E. Samir Ibrahim Mohammad Mbaidin, Minister of Interior of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan;
- H.E. Ambassador Peter MacDougall, Ambassador of Canada to Jordan;
- H.E. Ambassador Edward Oakden, Ambassador of United Kingdom to Jordan;
- Ms. Paivi Kannisto, Chief, Peace and Security Section and Director of Policy, a.i., UN Women.
The Government of Jordan endorsed JONAP in December 2017 and formally launched it in a ceremony in March 2018. The overall goal of the JONAP is to contribute to Jordan’s stability and security by improving operational security responses, as well as ensuring that the framework through which Jordan approaches peace and security issues recognizes the specific needs of women and their human rights. The JONAP consists of four strategic goals in the areas of:
- security sector reform and peace operations;
- preventing violent extremism;
- response to women and girl refugees in Jordan; and
- building a culture of peace and gender equality with a particular focus on youth and preventing gender-based violence.
For media queries and interview requests, please contact:
For JNCW, Ms. Ashjan Al-Ananzeh
For UN Women, Ms. Susan Al Hilo
Tel: +962 0790919680